They say the customer, or the guest, is always right. We're here to dispute that and share some stories that might prove otherwise.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

To Hell in a Handbasket. An Easter One.

Well, here I am, not even three hours into my shift (Sunday's are my long days when I work 12 hours, someday I'll put up a post about the shit I go through over my schedule) and I've already had a 911 call. My first one, at that.

There I was, just beginning to blog in the back office, when I hear a warning beep. Remembering my vague fire alarm training, I ran out to check the red alarm box. It read "systems all normal", along with the date and time. So I stand blinking at it thinking two bigs; first, thank god! (because I don't remember at all how to disarm that sucker), and secondly, then what beeped? Insert me doing One of those slow horror-film swivels (complete with the oh-no face.) The phone. The PHONE!

So I check the phone, and sure enough a guest called 911. After a quick call to my manager, I grabbed the cordless phone and master key and ran down the hall and banged on the door frantically (but politely) saying "front desk! Front desk, hello?" An elderly couple opens the door and says, "oh yeah, we called an ambulance. She's just having trouble breathing" (and they gesture to another older woman on the bed.) Oh, she can't breathe? Is that all? I apologized for my rushed entry and asked if I could do anything while they waited. They said no, but thank you, I told them not to hesitate to let me know if there was, and returned to the desk to wait for the EMTs, where I documented the event in our problems/complaints log and called my manager to let her know the rest of the deal.

This originally was going to be a post about how the third shift girl has had some raging hell virus for the past few weeks but won't stay home or take anything and then comes to work (where she coughs with an open mouth, touches everything, and refuses to sanitize anything or actually do any work), but then the whole 911 issue happened so it was mostly a post about that. Don't get me wrong, this girl still pisses me off by infecting us and not giving half a crap about it. My first 20 minutes after shift change were spent running around all floors trying to find some damn Lysol to spray everything with, and then wiping everything down with the Clorox wipes from the fitness center (why we have them in there but not at the desk where Disease Delilah sits on her ass all night is way beyond me.)

And I think this concludes my rant for the day! Although I still have 9 hours and some odd minutes left, so I could easily find something else to write about. Oh, and happy Easter/zombie Jesus Day to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment